As a child I remember watching commercials for Sloppy Joes and wondering what they were all about. To this day I have yet to taste an actual Sloppy Joe and for some reason, a BBQ pulled pork sandwich makes me think of those commercials.
Let’s consider this crock pot pulled pork version a gourmet Sloppy Joe! It's incredibly tasty and easy to make. Just pull out the ingredients below, toss them into the crock pot go about your day. When you return home I promise you the inviting, sweet and salty aromas will make you smile. I love my crock pot for this exact reason.
Things you should know:
- This recipe yields enough for the whole family and will leave you with plenty of leftovers. Please keep in mind that depending on the amount of meat and the size of your crock pot, you can always add more liquid or take some out. This is pretty much a fail proof recipe. My little ones love tossing in the veggies or measuring and pouring in the liquids. I think they are gaining a love of cooking and find they have a sense of pride from helping.
- Pork is loaded with potassium and protein. Per 6 ounce serving, pork shoulder contains approximately 560 mg of potassium and 40 grams of protein.
- Using a bone cut of pork will give this dish a wonderful rich flavor. The meat will literally fall off the bone!
- 2 lbs pork shoulder (aka Boston butt)
- 1 bunch green onions chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 cup chicken broth or beer
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 2 tbsp apricot jam
Spice rub: 1 tbsp kosher sea salt, 1tsp cumin, 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional), 1 tbsp soft black pepper (not cracked) mix spices together to make a rub. You can double or even triple the spices to your liking or you can skip this step all together.
- Rinse pork and pat dry with paper towel
- Rub spice blend on meat
- Place in crock pot and add broth/beer
- Add chopped garlic, green onions, apricot jam and BBQ sauce
- Cook on low for at least 5 hours
Once fully cooked, remove meat and place on cutting board. Using a fork, shred the meat and remove any fat or bone. Return to meat to the crock pot full of saucy goodness.
Super Simple Cabbage Salad
- 1 half head red cabbage
- 1 half head green cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- Lime juice (fresh if possible)
Chop or shred cabbage, add rice vinegar and the juice of one whole lime. Add fresh cilantro when ready to use and add salt and pepper to taste. You can also add 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise if you like a more traditional cole slaw. Either way, it adds a nice crunch and can be used either on the sandwich or as a side dish. NOTE: did you know you can ask a member of the produce department to cut a head of cabbage in half for you? That way you can buy both red and green and not worry about waste!
Small hard rolls are the best for this recipe. Or if you own the Cuisinart 5 in 1 Griddler you could totally make a Cuban sandwich! Personal taste will dictate how you eat this incredible meal but I should add it also works well in tacos, burritos and is delicious with a fried egg for breakfast (speaking from personal experience)! Try it and you will thank me in the morning!